On Saturday, 30 July 2011, the Progressive Caucus of the California Democratic Party adopted the following resolution:
RESOLUTION IN SUPPORT OF A PRESIDENTIAL PRIMARY CHALLENGE
Whereas, the Progressive Caucus of the California Democratic Party, recognizes the challenge presented by President Obama’s negotiating away Democratic Party principles to extremist Republicans by:
· His unilateral closed-door budget offer to slash Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, thus endangering The New Deal and War on Poverty safety nets.
· His determination to escalate U.S. militarism through illegal secret CIA drone attacks and unauthorized wars.
· His willingness to extend the Bush tax cuts for millionaires and bail out big banks without ending the foreclosure crisis that displaces American working families.
· His insistence on pushing a health insurance bill which enriches private insurance companies while ignoring growing support for single-payer health care or robust public options.
· His continuance of President Bush’s assault on civil liberties with an extension of the repressive Patriot Act, along with violations of international human rights.
· His failure to restore due process and Habeas Corpus, whilecontinuing the practice of nationwide FBI raids of anti-war progressive protesters.
· His decision to increase the arrests and deportations of undocumented workers.
· His facilitation of the privatization of the public sphere, which includes education and housing, among others.
· His disregard of his promises to the Labor movement and environmentalists.
Whereas the Progressive Caucus of the California Democratic Party recognizes the historical significance of the great late Robert F. Kennedy’s anti-war challenge to former President Lyndon Johnson, following President Johnson’s decision to escalate U.S. military involvement in Vietnam, betraying his campaign promise to end a war that polarized America, we similarly recognize the danger and betrayal the “Grand Bargain” represents to the legacy of Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s signature gift to all Americans: Social Security and the New Deal, a point of pride for all Democrats.
Whereas the Progressive Caucus of the California Democratic Party is committed to the understanding that an interest in a 2012 Democratic Presidential Primary challenge will not interfere with President Obama’s ability to govern, nor limit his ability to do so in ways that include invoking Constitutional options, we recognize that a Primary challenge will, in fact raise debate on important issues without risking the ability to mobilize and energize the base of the Democratic Party to elect a triumphant leader to counter the far-right agenda.
Therefore, be it resolved, to make our views heard, the Progressive Caucus of the California Democratic Party will begin the process of contacting other Democratic organizations, Democratic Party members and public organizations that share our views and which seek to change the course of history by exploring other steps necessary to effect a necessary change, including a possible primary challenge against President Obama.