• AmericaBLOG: House caucus meeting: ‘F*** the president’
What if it’s a mistake to call Obama a bad negotiator? What if Obama’s an excellent negotiator? If you think of him as negotiating for Republican positions against the Democrats, he almost always wins. His batting average is close to .900 at this point.
• Café Philos: One Reason I’m a Feminist
Now, mom is remarkably stoic. She almost never complains. And I’ve only seen her crying twice in my life. She likes to laugh, but that’s about it — the rest of her emotions are typically not on public display. So, I should have suspected she had a few secrets.
• The Cognitive Dissenter: A Bedtime Story
The Woodsman sat and passively watched all of the hyena’s atrocities while occasionally erupting with completely meaningless platitudes like, “Change!” and “Yes, we can!” He was very well-spoken and persuasive.
• Eliza R. Snitch: It’s funny because it’s true (Video: Provo, UT Girls)
Short, smart, young and righteous
All you fellas know you can’t fight this
• Holy Bullies and Headless Monsters: Religious right doesn’t want lgbt children to have parental support
One can’t help thinking that the only reason why the religious right objects to parents giving support to lgbt children is due to the cold fact that depressed, drug addicted lgbt youth are of more use to them than happy lgbt youth.
[S]hould lawmakers approve marriage equality, opponents need only get 3% of Maryland’s electorate, about 56,000 people, to sign a repeal petition that would place the issue on the 2012 ballot.
• Nader Page: Institutional Insanity
If there was a mental health hospital for institutions the Republican Party and its top leaders would be admissible as clinically insane.
• Pam’s House Blend (Lurleen): Study: positive family attitudes have major health and well-being implications for LGBT kids
For the first time, researchers have established a clear link between accepting family attitudes and behaviors towards their lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) children and significantly decreased risk and better overall health in adulthood.
• Pam’s House Blend (Pam Spaulding): A New Year’s wish for the community: Joe Solmonese’s resignation
It is shameful to cash all those checks without the follow through on the job. The White House was never put under serious pressure; the late calls now in the e-blasts for the President to do something ring hollow after the toadying that has gone on for two years.
• Pam’s House Blend (Autumn Sandeen): While U.S. Fumbles On DADT, Australia & Canada Accommodate Trans Servicemembers
The United States could go much further in accommodating lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender servicemembers than just a repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell that would accommodate LGB servicemembers, and still be able to capably and professionally meet the country’s military mission requirements.
• Princess Sparkle Pony’s Photo Blog: McCain Family Values
There’s John McCain! Doesn’t he look happy? He’s happy because he is on his way to filibuster the end of NHIM (No Hairdressers in the Military)!
• Republic of Gilead: Concerned Women for America and LGBT Youth
Sparks claims that GLSEN “discriminates” against people who hold a “Biblical worldview” because it refuse to acknowledge the supposed benefits of reparative therapy.
• What is a writer? Reflections on Procrastination: in lieu of examinations, final, and deadlines.
Even though I must resist the urge to describe how “interesting” certain scholarly articles are in light of a research project, and instead continually search for more accurate or succinct language, I am personally entertained by the allure of the simply Interesting.